To shoot or not shoot graphic pictures of your labor... of course NOT!! well, maybe...

Tonight after I shared two pictures of Charles' biological Dad, one of me pregnant, that I happened to chance upon as I was updating my website, he asked to see pictures of him "coming out" of my belly... The whole idea was for him to see how Mommy looked when she was pregnant, since my friend Latiesha just had her 5th baby and he became very inquisitive about babies and wanting a baby or a sister or brother- GOD help me!   So I had this brilliant idea, or at least what I thought would be one, but little did I know he would ask to see him actually coming out of my womb- vagina- flower- private parts???
I had to tell the curious little boy that I had none and that he should ask his poor Auntie Laura who was my birth partner by default and who recently confessed to having applied the petroleum jelly on my labia majora & minora...since the nurses whom I thought had been the dear souls responsible for me only receiving one minor stitch, weren't in fact able to do it per hospital policies....and in fact it was Dear Auntie Laura who had spared me that extra painful recovery. 
I'm sure I'm mortifying her, but I wanted to share this thought as I precisely had in my birth plan that I wanted NO PICTURES of my actual birth. I thought the sight would be too unbearable, and that no one least of all my child would be interested in such visceral shots of a baby's first seconds of life.
Now, of course I guess I should have had at least one, but in all honesty, and this is something I still haven't told Charles- it was really touch and go, when he finally came out, I mean he was practically not breathing and there was really no time as an army of pediatricians descending upon him to resuscitate him and rush him off to NICU at UCLA. 
Therefore, while the idea disgusted me at the time, I think it might be wise to take a couple just in case your child should ask you and dont thin for a second that it did not occur to me to download some random shots from the internet, but knowing my son, he would easily tell me: "That's not me!!!"   The child is so vain that when I showed him his other baby pictures, his first reaction to one was: "AWWWWWWW! How cute! what a cute little baby face I had Mommy!" and I thought he meant his Dad a one point, but none of the sort, he was complimenting himself, lol
Honesty is always best with children, even when you think they are not prepared yet, they can surprise you.

Comments

Popular Posts