YAY!!! My son can ride a bike!!! Look out cops we might need to put an APB out there

I honestly do not remember how old I was when I first rode a bike, what I do know is that I was 10 years old when I got me first bike cause we had just moved to Spain and I was one of the last to get my bike, like my younger sister got her BMX Raleigh bike before I even got mine?!?!? who knows how my parents figured that out, probably hers was a gift from a relative and mine they actually had to pay for...I did learn when we lived in Haiti, I just didn't have a bike of my own, I took turns borrowing or begging to use my younger brother's or sisters' but I know our House boy Rigo, taught me or at least held the bike seat running behind me, and pretended he was still holding the bike up for me long after I was half way down the Ocean Blvd heading straight into the Caribbean Sea....he was a liar....My Dad was busy writing his novel. 
So this Sunday as I was getting ready to go to our Church, my son tells me he wants to ride his bike without the training wheels, and I was like really?!?!?  cause I don't think I'm prepared to deal with this today... See his first bike experience was back on christmas day when "Santa" had given him his new green bike without the training wheels on, and he fearlessly got on the bike and a second later crashed right into this lamp post in front of our house that was built in 1942 so I had a mini heart attack thinking he had broken his leg since he managed to get it lodged in between the bottom of the lamp post's pipe thing that sticks out and the front wheel of his bike...Thank God he was OK, but he was all traumatized, so back on went the training wheels, and I beat myself up with guilt for having been so dumb to have the guys at Toys R Us take them off in the first place. Not to mention I was frantically texting his godmother and she was telling me off for not keeping the training wheels on reminding me how much a wuss Charles is when it comes to getting hurt even in the slightest- Hmmm like most men. Bottom line is that the experience was painful and I was not prepared to deal with another disaster again, I guess if Charles had a father in the picture I would have passed the baton over to him at this point.  Thankfully, my neighbor and his squealing 2yr old child came rushing through our open front door and took over the situation by volunteering to remove the training wheels and chase after Charles while his screaming baby ran after him clinging to his leg crying his eyeballs out to be held- crazy-glued to his Dad's body...So somehow in all this chaos and horrendous noise Charles started riding this bike all on his own without the training wheels!!!  YAY!!!!  I quickly buried them in the hallway closet along with all the lost & found forgotten objects in my messy life.
That same afternoon, after a full day of activities including a b-day party for one of his friends at Chuck E Cheese, he asked me to sign him up for a bike race, Hello!?!? you just started riding!?!?  That's my Libra boy!!  
And today when I was trying to get him to come have dinner, I had to challenge him to a race back home in order for him to stop riding his bike, and not only did I give him a head start at one point and then almost fell over myself on my bike, but he passed me and blurted out: "See Ya later alligator!!" what the f----!?!?! I could only laugh and that made it worse for my balancing act on my bike...My proud cocky little boy who can now really run away from home as soon as he wants to, there is no stopping him now...

Comments

Popular Posts