The Old Man & The Gun - MOVIE REVIEW

Two weekends ago I took my son to see what supposedly is Robert Redford's last film, and I sure hope it is not, though something tells me it probably won't be. Much like Jane Fonda, he seems to be going and going and there is no stopping him - and thankfully, because Hollywood needs more "old men" like Redford, gentlemen, and pioneers and innovators of independent filmmaking.
My son had no idea what we were going to see, in fact, I had tricked him and told him we were meeting his friend Max, and going all the way to Pasadena to see the Ant-man movie, and believe it or not he wasn't too excited about that choice of movie but came along for the prospect of seeing his beloved friend. When we arrived at the Landmark movie theater he immediately realized that he had been fooled and was going to see some kind of "boring adult movie." Little did he know that not only would he enjoy this movie and really get into the plot and questioning how the main character played by Redford was able to escape 13 times from prison, but also talk about it the next day after I picked him up from school- a huge feat considering the extremely short attention span of any child these days but especially that of a very active 10-year-old.
Not only was this film well written and perfectly cast and might I add somewhat diverse as Casey's wife is the token Black women in the film and one of Redford's bank robber mates, but was also shot on 35mm FILM, YES! on FILM!!! I heart film and I heart even more the filmmakers who intentionally chose to shoot film in this digital instant everything era. Sissy Spacek was incredibly and looks just as young as Jane Fonda, she has this warm sparkle in her eye that can fool you into believing that she is innocent when all along she knows perfectly well that she's being taken for a ride and the best part is that she's OK with it.
You can tell it's become difficult for Redford to move as swiftly as he used to in his manly gait and stride, but he manages to camouflage any pain that old age inevitably brings about whether you resist it and try your best to postpone it with the best plastic surgeons your money can buy in Hollywood or not which is clearly the case with Redford. Aging gracefully and still looking hot and attractive, this is challenging for any man or woman, and I know first hand as the caregiver for my own father for decades- he would always say: "no matter what do not age!" and then laugh. You can barely read or tell any pain in Redford's face that is what a brilliant actor that he continues to be despite 40-45 years of him acting from a very young age. I suppose I too would be retiring.
Casey Affleck, I must admit to not caring much for as an actor, and not just because in real life he cheated in my dear friend and incredible actor in her own right, his now ex-wife and mother of two of his children, Summer Phoenix, cut because I'm always thought his acting to be weak accompanied by a very low and often difficult to understand hoarse. However, Casey does come across as a lame detective who needs a lot of help over many years to finally close a case and catch the "son of a bitch" red-handed! It's a film I think audiences from all ages and backgrounds will enjoy and I hope it does well at the box office for it is a cute little movie and certainly, a perfect ending to such an accomplished and robust career that Redford has shared with us all on the large and small screens.

Comments

Popular Posts