Single Mommy's Day!

So for the very commercially-driven Mother's Day - yet another holiday where advertisers love to cash-in- I suggest you make plans for yourself and your son/child in case your best friend forgets or your own mother doesn't post that card on time...or your father decides to join and makes you pay for it and then offers to buy you something after... ?!)!*&&@!&^ 
This year was better than last, last year was loaded with emotions and hormones that are still stabilizing, JA! I decided to attend worship with my son, we were late as usual but my Pastor Rachel gave me a lovely red rose. The day before I went to get my legs waxed at this Egyptian themed spa- beauty salon that has seen better days, I really wanted to get the gold facial done with real gold just like Cleopatra, but that was out of the budget, and the owner gave me my first rose for the weekend, it was a perfect faded pink! I was so touched and I got the usual: you have an Arabic name, Nad-i-a,  and so I showed-off the three words I know in Arabic- and she said she'd give me a discount the next time I came.  So ladies when you need to bring-on the charm and get your discounts be whatever you have to in order to get them- every bit counts!
So just as I'm leaving our Church I get a phone call from long and forgotten Laura, the unofficial godmother of my son, who is finally back from her indefinite stay in my hometown NYC, where more than once I've thought about moving back to this year. My son Charles was so happy to see her, she was my birthing partner and has seen more of my vagina than any guy I've ever dated. We had mimosas and martinis while Charles munched on french fries and mandarins- his favorite these days- if I can only get him to eat the whole thing- he just sucks the juice out of them and then throws them on the floor. I've finally got to the point where he will organize the "used" ones from the"new" ones, but it only works for a few seconds. There is a saying in Russian: "Repetition makes perfection". It was fun I picked-up my favorite conditioner and bought a leather biker jacket on Sale at Neiman Marcus. Yes I succumbed to the commercial side of Mother's Day, can't wait to use it! Of course my son got his first tricycle Go Green Kettler, made out of 80% recycled materials and of course painted in green my favorite color.
So I've come to the conclusion that I can't stand the parents who live in VG, I mean most of them are so boring and have so many issues of their own that I really feel sorry for their babies. I really just want to walk out on the green one day and tell them to just shut-up and let my kid play with theirs. I mean I'm on the phone talking and this dad of now three who is clearly the stay at home parent who is way too horny to even think straight and has so much pent up anger, and he yells at his son to get-off my son's truck which is one of those push ones and they just sit, so he grabs his kid and plops him down on his tricycle and parades him right in front of me saying: "cause Desmond now knows how to pedal!" and is like rushing to get all the kids back home for dinner as if my son and I carry leprosy or some highly contagious disease. It's like they are all stuck back in High School- I mean typical American high school where everyone is trying to win some type of popularity contest. God forbid they allow their kids to pedal on their own. My son who is about Desmond age is still struggling with the pedaling, but I'm not FORCING HIM to do so in order to show-off to the other parents. Anyway I wish that particular couple would just move-out already, I mean how do they all even fit in the one bedroom condos even a two bedroom would be getting too small. And who names their daughter: Saffron???? I mean is hard enough what we go through to survive childhood and then high school to have to name your child some weird name. I hated my name for the longest time I think it was until I was in college that I started to realize that it was somewhat rare almost unique, but before that I was dying to have a "normal" or should I say more common name like: Jennifer, yes Jennifer or Jane would have done just fine throughout my childhood, instead in Spain I had people even call me Naya, Nidia, and in some cases Nadie, which means nothing in Spanish for those who don't speak the language, seriously, 9 out of 10 times they got my name wrong, most times cause they couldn't help it, but a lot of times it was done on purpose. So I feel sorry for Saffron, what can I say...
To finish-up, the Village Green Family-basically parents of about 20 babies- have started a committee to build a playground, cause back in the 40's when this place was built to provide low income housing to veterans of the war, they had all that and even swings, a daycare center and a library along with an organic garden which back then was naturally organic! Anyway, they  have started this website and posted all these pictures and suggested ideas and concepts using wood trunks from trees that have fallen, blablabla, I have a feeling this playground is going to take a couple of years to build it would be easier passing a by-law at Sarah Lawrence as a Senator than trying to address everyone's need and desire on this committee plus then make sure it complies with the Historic district rules and regulations. HELLO!!! What happened to just get a playground ASAP! Have one of a list of green companies do it and install, just buy an umbrella for liability in case a kid falls and their greedy parent wants to suit the VG and end of story. Instead they want to build a cement whale like the one at Laguna Beach, come-on! Do they even realize how unhealthy concrete is and what damage it does to the environment!?
To all you Single Mom's Stand Proud and  remember you ARE LOVED and you are NOT ALONE, even when you are alone and trying to deal with how to control your 19 month when he is having a temper tantrum cause you took away his popsicle or ice-cream cone- they make those portions WAY TOO BIG- I mean I LOVE  Rite-Aids ice-cream, my son loves strawberry, but it's way to big even the kid's size- this is why we have child obesity in the US, please mothers take precautions now. I know it's hard, but it is necessary, you don't want them to get diabetes. Anyway, check out Haagen Dazs' snack size ice-creams, perfect size 6 bars of $3.99!

Comments

Popular Posts